Non-Toxic Transparent Matte
Series 2000 glazes have a wide color palette and that fire to an opaque or transparent finish. Stock numbers that contain the prefix "S-21XX" are transparent glazes, while those with the prefix "S-25XX" are opaque glazes. Series 2000 glazes mature at shelf cone 06 and for best results should be applied to bisque fired two cones hotter (shelf cone 04). Series 2000 are ideal for schools, nursing homes and institutional use, meeting the F.D.A. standard for lead and cadmium release.
Product Features, Attributes and Application Recommendations:
- For solid even coverage, time and care should be given to their application. The first coat is the most important. Use a Soft Fan to apply the Series 2000 to a large plain area. This allows a full brush load of color to be delivered to the surface.
- A Flat Glaze brush is suited for applying color to pieces with lots of detail. Using this brush on highly detailed pieces will help avoid any build up of color in the crevices.
- For the best coverage, apply each successive coat in an alternate direction. Always read the label instructions, as all glazes are not applied in the same way.
- It is very important that bisque be fired two cones hotter than the glaze firing. A shelf cone should always be used to verify that the desired cone was reached through each firing.
- Fast firing during the bisque and glaze firing does not allow the glaze to properly develop. This can produce trapped gases and carbons in the glaze. The preferred rate of increase during the bisque firing is 250º per hour and 375º per hour during the glaze firing.
- Make sure the glaze has dried thoroughly prior to firing.
- Always give the pieces the proper space in the kiln chamber and provide proper ventilation during the firing cycle.
SECTION 2: PRODUCT APPLICATION VARIATIONS AND FAQ’S
- These glazes offer the artist the opportunity to do Majolica techniques (using a glaze on top of another unfired glaze). If doing a majolica technique it is best to add an additional coat of color. Handling the piece when designing can cause color to be removed.
- New shades can be created within certain parameters. A lighter, more transparent color is created when mixed with S-2101 Natural Clear. This glaze mix remains safe and non-toxic.
- When mixing the Series 2000 Gloss Glazes, try a small test first. Some pigments are not stable when mixed together and may give unsatisfactory results.
- Do not mix Series 2000 glazes with glazes outside of this family. Doing so may alter the chemical composition and cause them to no longer be non-toxic or dinnerware safe.
- Not recommended for greenwareDo not apply Series 2000 to greenware as this will give very poor results.